Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Our Summer of 2020

Greetings from sunny, hot Portland. First of all, a big thank you and virtual hug you to everyone who has contacted me about my back surgery! I truly appreciate the outreach. To say the least, it's been an interesting summer for all of us, in so many ways. 

Long story short. I didn't have the surgery. It wasn't an easy decision but since I wasn't in 'debilitating pain' at the time of my surgery, the neurosurgeon said he thought it was best to avoid surgery unless it was critical - and I reluctantly agreed that I should 'wait'. The second MRI later in June showed that my cyst on my spine had 'resorbed' from the size of an olive to that of a pea. So my subsequent phone meeting with the neurosurgeon at Kaiser P lead to a similar, short discussion. Don't cut if you can handle the pain and situation.

I haven't written about it since I continue to have mixed emotions. It's hard to express. My decision for now is to see how life progresses. I am doing physical therapy and tolerating many movements and exercises. Truly, I am supremely thankful that I am not in recovery mode. I am working, active and challenging my mobility. 


New sheep troughs with jasmine and greenery
We are enjoying our little bit of paradise on Hayden Island and both once again, working several jobs to make our way.  
Enjoying our new "living room"
Our summer shore view - when river was higher 
We love our storage shed!



















Chilling at my friend's family cabin on Orcas Island

Great cloud action every day from the deck











We had a great getaway to the San Juan Islands in July, where Mike taught two 4-day advanced Bareboat Charter classes to a variety of students - who all had a wonderful time while earning their advanced sailing certifications. 

We drove together to Anacortes, WA, where I met up with one of my longest term friends (don't want to say oldest!), and Mike boarded the boat in anticipation of his first students' arrivals. 

My friend and I spent a magical 4 days exploring Orcas Island and chilling at her family's "cabin".  After much catching up, laughter, exploration, kayaking and eating, we parted company in Anacortes where I met up with Mike and our friends. We spent the following 4 days on board 'Flyer', a Jenneau 44 - a modern, sleek and very different sailing vessel than our Pura Vida. We motor sailed to Stuart Island then hiked, relaxed, tried to catch some elusive crab, and generally hung out. This respite was more relaxing for me than Mike since he had to unwind from class 1, then prepare for the next group of students. All told, we had a wonderful time. The weather cooperated and we had some wind.

Contemplation at sunset

Lavender abounds on Orcas

Vistas from Mt Constitution

Mt Baker in the distance

Dual wheel, sleek Jenneau - a bit more modern
than our 1976 Islander Freeport

We hope you are all safe and well, as thankfully, we are.
The girls at Mt Constitution

2 comments:

  1. So good to see you guys, if only on screen! Seems like a great summer so far!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy. So glad you are doing better. Sounds like you made the right decision! I also suffer with back pain. I have been going to a pain clinic for radio ablasion and epidurals that help tremendously for awhile. It has been a wierd year here. All activities have pretty much stopped in the retirement community that we moved to. I was sure having fun before it all shut down! We will be going to La Paz for 3 months January thru the end of March to relax at the beach. Our summer has set record high heats so next year we are spending a couple summer months in Willamena, Oregon where my brother lives. We are buying a small trailer to camp in. Following the good weather 😄. Robert turns 75 in a couple of weeks but he continues to ride his bike at least 150-200 miles a week. He is planning to do the world time trials again this year! I work on mosaics and garden and we both keep working on this old house we bought. Never ending! Tell Mike hi for us and if you ever go through Nogales we are only 40 min north. Sending big hugs. Your place looks amazing. Kathy and Robert

    ReplyDelete